1. What are the general characteristics of FDM?
2. Explain how a range of frequencies can be used to increase data rate.
3. An FDM system may assign each channel a range of frequencies. Using a range is essential when which type of modulation is used for each carrier?
4. What is the key mechanism used to combine or separate wavelengths of light in a WDM system?
1. In a hierarchical FDM system, explain how a high-capacity channel is divided into subchannels.
2. Explain why framing and synchronization are important in a TDM system.
3. Is a TDM system required to use round-robin service?
4. In a hierarchical TDM system, at what bit rate does the output of a given level need to operate? (Express the answer in terms of the number and bit rate of inputs.)