TWO ASSIGNMENT: Discussion and EXTRA CREDIT
LESSON 5 – Resiliency and Vulnerability / Diversity and Cultural Competence
To Prepare for this lesson:
1) Review all material presented
2) View the video
3) Complete the cultural competence checklist
Extra credit – Watch the movie "Crash" (2004 with Matt Dillon) and write a 300
(minimum) word reaction paper about how the movie addresses cultural
diversity and post it in the drop box provided.
3 points will be added to your final grade.
Substance Abuse Prevention Dollars and Cents-A Cost-Benefit
Analysis Provided in previous assignment (can resend through email if needed)
Cultural competence and mental health
Check this out – Methadone happy birthday (50 years) – Harm reduction is REAL,
keep an open mind and read this article!!!
Lesson 5 – Discussion Question
Now that you are becoming familiar with basic prevention practice and theory
let’s examine diversity. There are some easy to apply interventions when
working with differences among: ethnicity, age, gender, etc.
1. What is your first thought on how to address differences between yourself and
those we serve?
2. How do you (would you) process differences in age, gender and/or ethnicity?
3. Is it more important to understand yourself or someone who may differ from
4. Considering the differences among us (e.g., age, ethnicity, gender, religion)
are we more alike or different? Please explain your answer.
5) Where did you stand on the self assessment?
Post your response to the above in the Discussion Board (250 words minimum)