Compare and Contrast the Culture, Mission, and Vision of Profit and Nonprofit Organizations
Books and Resources
• Nezhina, T. G., & Brudney, J. L. (2012, Spring). Unintended? The effects of adoption of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on nonprofit organizations
• Sikka, P. (2010). Smoke and mirrors: Corporate social responsibility and tax avoidance
• Yetman, M. H., & Yetman, R. J. (2012, Fall). The effects of governance on the accuracy of charitable expenses reported by nonprofit organizations
You will need to interview an accountant who work in the for-profit sector and an accountant who work in the nonprofit sector in similar industries to evaluate the concepts surrounding the nature of accounting methods and issues pertaining to decision making and ethics.
After completing your interviews, prepare a paper in which you include the following:
1. Introduce the industry in which your interviewees work. What are the main differences in the for-profit and nonprofit organizations that the accountants represent?
2. Compare and contrast the Mission, Vision, and organizational culture of each organization.
3. Critique the differences in fund accounting and SFAS accounting between the two.
4. Summarize how each account strives to maintain ethical accounting standards. Are there limitations to what each accountant can do based on working in either a nonprofit or for-profit organization?
5. Identify the most common sources of fraud for each organization.
6. What role does the accountant play in his or her organization with regards to managerial decision making? Provide detailed examples demonstrating the need for accountants to fill this important role.
7. Summary of what you have learned from the interviewees and their responses to conclude your paper.
Support your paper with a minimum of five (7) external resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including older articles, may be included.
Length: 12-15 pages not including title and reference pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
Note: All papers are run through TurnItIn.com.